Weinberg alumna Solis Doyle mobilizes Latinx leaders with Biden’s Florida campaign

Graphic by Emma Ruck

Solis Doyle. Doyle is working with Biden’s campaign to mobilize Latinx leaders in Florida.

Maia Spoto, Development and Recruitment Editor

The minute President Donald Trump was elected four years ago, Solis Doyle (Weinberg ’20) knew she would work on his 2020 challenger’s campaign.

A Florida Hispanic outreach associate at Biden For President, Doyle works 13-plus hour days engaging community leaders to get out the vote for former Vice President Joe Biden across Florida’s Latinx population. She joined her coalition after working as an intern for six months at the Biden campaign’s national headquarters.

Doyle’s parents both worked in the Democratic space, her father in policy and her mother as a strategist. Growing up in Washington, D.C., she said she understood that government, if done well, can be essentially good. Trump, she said, has “made a mockery” of that ideal.

“The way I felt on election night in 2016, that’s what keeps me going,” Doyle said. “This job is really, really hard. It’s really exhausting. All I do is this election. But another four years of Donald Trump is truly a nightmare, to me and to so many Americans. We’ve got to keep going. We’ve got to win.”

As one of the youngest members of her team, Doyle’s also one of the most technologically savvy, so she’s the person who “makes things happen,” she said. Lou Grossman, Florida seniors vote leader with Biden for President, said Doyle’s computer skills have given her responsibilities outside of her original jurisdiction on the campaign.

Alongside her work with the Florida Hispanic outreach coalition, Doyle also spends much of her time supporting groups on Biden’s campaign that mobilize seniors, veterans and union members as they navigate virtual organizing.

“It’s challenging to work with a different generation,” Grossman said. “Juggling the technology. This is the first virtual campaign in history. We’re making history. When we win, we’ll really make history. But she keeps her cool well. She juggles very well.”

With the campaign, Doyle plans phone banks, roundtables and social media livestreams to mobilize voters. Her key messages include emphasizing Biden’s commitment to accountable leadership and protecting democracy. She also helps break down disinformation that might be spreading throughout the Latinx community.

For a time, WhatsApp groups with thousands of members were spreading fake articles with misleading information about voting, Biden’s campaign and the campaigns of other Democrats down the ballot. In response, Doyle and her team started breaking into Latinx media markets, combatting disinformation through messages over radio, WhatsApp and other platforms in ways the team deems “culturally competent,” she said.

Campaign culture, Doyle said, is exhausting. About a month ago, Doyle posted a wall of sticky notes counting down to Nov. 3. She said her roommates watched her stick the numbers on her wall and wondered, “Are you okay?”

One of those roommates, Rachael Packard (Communication ’20), said it’s tough for Doyle to find time to relax. But Doyle and her roommates “make it work” by watching reality TV and Schitt’s Creek, Packard said.

“(Doyle) is rather modest,” Packard said. “If she told you she’s working hard, I promise it’s 18 times that. She really is giving her heart and soul and every minute of her day to this campaign.”

Doyle said she doesn’t know what will happen after Nov. 3. If Biden wins, she said she hopes to stay in D.C. and see his plans through, either working in his administration or through an advocacy agency.

Until then, she’s keeping her head down and pressing on.

“You know how in Evanston everyone’s like, ‘Oh, it’s so cold in the winter time, but we’re all cold together, so it’s okay?’” Doyle said. “It’s a very similar thing to that. Yeah, it sucks. It’s cold. But it’s okay, because everyone’s cold.”

Twitter: @maia_spoto