Northwestern chapter of Delta Delta Delta votes to disband

Megan Munce/Daily Senior Staffer

The Delta Delta Delta house, 625 University Pl. The chapter petitioned its Executive Board to withdraw its charter last week.

Megan Munce, Web Editor

The Northwestern chapter of Delta Delta Delta voted last week to disband, according to an email obtained by The Daily.

In the Oct. 13 email sent to alumni from NU’s chapter and the Chicago area, Tri Delta CEO Karen Hughes White said Tri Delta’s Executive Board received a petition by current members of the chapter to withdraw the chapter’s charter.

As of Oct. 20, the Executive Board has not yet communicated to members or alumni how they’ll respond to the petition, but said in the email they expect to deliver their answer on or before Oct. 30.

“The Board is currently considering all possible options for Tri Delta’s future at Northwestern, weighing both the concerns of current collegiate members, the legacy of the sisters who have come before them and the potential for transforming the Greek system at Northwestern,” the email read.

According to another email obtained by The Daily from Tri Delta’s Upsilon House Corporation Board, only five members voted against disbanding and remain in the chapter. Tri Delta is the latest in a series of fraternities and sororities at NU to vote to disband following an online movement to abolish Greek life at NU that began over the summer. 

Most recently, NU’s Panhellenic Association voted to cancel formal sorority recruitment due in part to concerns about inequalities being magnified through a virtual recruitment.

“The Upsilon House Corporation Board has been struggling with the impact of the pandemic and the Abolish Greek Life movement all summer,” the email read. “We hoped there were enough engaged members to resist the vote to dissolve the chapter, but sadly we were wrong.”

Twitter: @meganmuncie