Robert Crown Center Gymnasium to be named after Logan family

Daily file photo by Julia Esparza

The old Robert Crown Community Center. The newly renovated center’s gymnasium will be named after the Logan Family.

Jacob Fulton, City Editor

The gymnasium in the newly renovated Robert Crown Community Center will be named the Logan Family Gymnasium, after the Logan family, who have been longtime residents of the city, the city of Evanston and Friends of the Robert Crown Center announced Thursday.

The gymnasium will host events like camps, recreational activities and pre-K classes, according to the release.

The construction process on the project began in summer 2018, with a price tag of nearly $53 million. The renovations were initially proposed in January 2017, when the plan was to refurbish the inside of the building. However, later on, the project turned into a complete rebuild of the center, causing cost increases and community controversy.

The city held a celebratory ribbon cutting on Oct. 3, though the center first opened on Feb. 29, with portions opening throughout the spring. The facilities include two ice rinks, a variety of athletic fields, a new library branch and multiple community rooms, along with the gymnasium.

“It is next to impossible to find a family who has invested more time or worked harder to make Evanston a safer, better educated and more just community than the Logan Family,” Evanston Parks and Recreation Board President and Friends of the Robert Crown Center Board Member Denise Barreto said in the release.

Twitter: @jacobnfulton