Robert Crown demolition work set to begin

Daily file photo by Julia Esparza

The old Robert Crown Community Center. The newly renovated center’s gymnasium will be named after the Logan Family.

Maia Spoto, Assistant City Editor

The city’s Capital Planning and Engineering Bureau has scheduled demolition work on the old Robert Crown Community Center to begin next week, according to a city news release.

Part of a $53 million project that began in July 2018, the new Robert Crown Library, 1701 Main St., opened its doors last Saturday. It is located in a building that also offers public meeting spaces and athletic facilities. An open house is scheduled for Saturday, March 14, and work on sports fields outside the center is scheduled for completion in August.

The city contracted Bulley & Andrews for the center’s demolition, a process that will likely last seven weeks, according to the news release. It is set to occur between 7 a.m. and 3 p.m. Monday through Friday. Saturday work is possible, depending on weather events and the project’s progress.

A construction fence is set to surround the old center and its parking lot, a Public Works Agency newsletter said. The process will involve a week of setup and asbestos removal, three weeks of above-ground demolition and three weeks of dismantling the building’s foundations, the news release said.

Bulley & Andrews will follow local regulations during demolition to guarantee that both workers and the public remain safe throughout the process and that they handle and dispose of all materials properly, the news release said.

“An independent environmental engineering firm will also perform ambient air monitoring to ensure air quality requirements are met,” said the news release. “Water will be used extensively to control dust and dirt from becoming airborne. Vibration monitoring equipment will also be installed to alert the contractor in the event that construction-related vibrations approach levels which could potentially damage adjacent structures.”

John Devaney, the project manager for the center, told The Daily in a previous interview that soccer fields and a new parking lot will replace the old Robert Crown Community Center.

Twitter: @maia_spoto