City appoints new corporation counsel, city attorney

Back to Article
Back to Article

Kelly Gandurski. Gandurski will start as the city’s corporation counsel on March 2.

Courtesy City of Evanston

Courtesy City of Evanston

Courtesy City of Evanston

Jacob Fulton, Assistant City Editor

Interim city manager Erika Storlie announced in a Thursday news release that Kelley Gandurski will be the city’s new corporation counsel and Nicholas Cummings will become the next deputy city attorney.

Gandurski will oversee the city’s law department beginning March 2. She previously worked as the executive director of Chicago’s Department of Animal Care and Control and also served as a senior counsel in Chicago’s Department of Law.

Gandurski holds a law degree from DePaul University College of Law and a bachelor’s degree from Saint Joseph’s College. In the news release, Storlie said Gandurski’s extensive legal experience in multiple forms of litigation will benefit the city.

“Her comprehensive understanding of the law and commitment to public service will make her a tremendous asset to the City of Evanston in this critical position,” Storlie said.

Cummings was hired in January, and will work on litigation for the city.

Cummings earned a law degree from Chicago-Kent College of Law and a bachelor’s degree from DePaul University. He has previously served as a chief attorney for the Chicago Transit Authority.

Storlie said she has already seen Cummings’ actions affect the city during his month as deputy city attorney.

“He is a strategic thinker, a strong leader, and a tireless public advocate,” Storlie said, “and has already made a positive impact on the City.”

Email: jacobfulton2023@u.northwestern.edu
Twitter: @jacobnfulton1