Letter to the Editor: Check out the Democratic Party of Evanston

No matter where you are on the political spectrum, chances are good that you are acutely aware of the precarious place our country is in.

Prominent Republicans have formed the Lincoln Project to prevent Trump’s re-election. Flaming liberal lawyers, like me, are spending too much time in a state of near apoplexy watching our Democratic Experiment unravel along with our democratic norms. Even The New York Times noted that the circumstances created by Trump made it necessary for their editorial board to frame Democrats’ choice and, in an unprecedented act, they endorsed two people, Amy Klobuchar and Elizabeth Warren.

In short, we need to hear from those who are the future of our country and we need to know the direction you want the country to go. On Feb. 9, at 4 p.m., at the Unitarian Church, the Democratic Party of Evanston will host our Endorsement Event. As one of the most progressive, active, and effective democratic organizations in the state and country, our decisions are noted widely. That is why you must weigh in!

If you are on the fence about who you think should face — and hopefully defeat — Trump in November, you really must come to hear prominent surrogates speak about their candidates. This is also the perfect opportunity to learn more about every race on the ballot. And, if you want to meet the candidates down the ballot, many will be in attendance.

In his editorial on Dec. 29, 2019, David Leonhardt, an opinion columnist from the New York Times, called the presidential nominating process absurd. He spelled out what most of us suspect: there might be a better way to select our presidents. It certainly did not work optimally for the 2016 election. One of the remedies Leonhardt suggested was adopting rank choice voting. It allows voters to list their second and third choices; many places have adopted this system for their elections. To help explain rank choice voting, we will have a demonstration of it as part of the Endorsement Event.

If you have made your choice, please get involved. Volunteer on a campaign.

Most importantly, please vote in November: so very much is at stake.

– Michelle Jordan
President, Democratic Party of Evanston