Blotter: Man arrested for aggravated assault, battery in two separate occurrences

Jacob Fulton, Assistant City Editor

A 25-year-old Evanston man was charged with aggravated assault, criminal damage to property and battery on Jan. 9 related to two separate incidents.

The man was taken into police custody on Jan. 8 around 4:30 p.m. in the 1000 block of Central Street, according to Evanston police Cmdr. Ryan Glew.

The first altercation occurred at the Burger King on 1740 Orrington Ave. at 2:40 a.m. The victim, a 33-year-old male employee of the restaurant, asked the suspect to leave the restaurant as he prepared to close the facilities.

In response, the suspect threw a water bottle at the victim, which missed. He then threw a wet floor sign, which hit the wall of the restaurant. The suspect proceeded to reach into his pocket and point at the victim, threatening to shoot the victim and claiming he had a firearm. The suspect turned to leave, and subsequently threw a garbage can over the restaurant counter, breaking items on the counter.

The suspect fled, slamming the exterior door. Glew said though he told the victim he had a weapon, he never revealed the firearm. Another witness, a 21-year-old female and Burger King employee, confirmed the story.

This resulted in charges of aggravated assault and criminal damage to property, Glew said.

The same suspect was also involved in an incident on Jan. 4 at the Starbucks at 1734 Sherman Ave.

In that case, the suspect entered the building at 5 a.m. and fell asleep in a booth. Around 6:40 a.m., a 37-year-old male employee attempted to wake the suspect. The suspect shouted profanities at the victim and threw cups of water at him.

He then picked up a metal scraper from the counter and threw it at the victim. The victim was struck on his right hand, causing a deep laceration. The suspect fled, and the victim was transported to the emergency room by first responders. Glew said the suspect was charged with battery.

Twitter: @jacobnfulton1