Fencing: Wildcats struggle at the Elite Invitational this weekend

A+Northwestern+fencer+faces+off+against+an+opponent.+The+Wildcats+went+1-5+at+this+weekend%E2%80%99s+Elite+Invitational.+

Daily file photo by Brian Meng

A Northwestern fencer faces off against an opponent. The Wildcats went 1-5 at this weekend’s Elite Invitational.

Andrea Bian, Recruitment Editor

Fencing

Northwestern continued its season Saturday with an appearance at the Elite Invitational in Philadelphia. The Wildcats finished out the weekend with a substandard 1-5 record.

After losing in the first round against Princeton 20-7 — where both the Tigers’ foil and epee units went 7-2 — NU lost to Penn State, 15-12.

The Cats faced their conference rivals Ohio State in the third round, where they narrowly lost 14-13. In the fourth round, they faced Cornell, losing 16-11, despite 2-1 records from sophomore epee Emma Scala and sophomore sabre Abigail Swallow and freshman sabre Thea Nguyen.

The first win of the weekend for NU came in its fifth-round matchup against Harvard, where 3-0 sweeps from freshman Julia Shalansky and sophomore foils Julia Falinska and Alyssa Chen helped the team win 14-13.

The Cats finished the weekend with a 14-13 loss to Penn. NU will appear next at the January North American Cup on Jan. 3.

Coach Zach Moss said despite the high number of losses at the invitational, the Cats still had opportunities to win every match.

“I’m very proud of how our team competed this weekend,” Moss said to NUSports.com. “Our team was consistent in their approach to our process, team cohesion was terrific and spirits were high. Our team learned a lot this weekend and I look forward to seeing this group continue to grow.”

Twitter: @andreabian_