Letter to the Editor: The best way to protest Sessions

The best way to protest Sessions: Just ignore his irrelevant presence.

Former Attorney General Jeff Sessions is an awful human being and an awful politician. His homophobic, racist and xenophopbic agenda makes us cringe. Even some conservatives have spoken out against his arrival on campus. Jeff Sessions stands for corruption and loyalty to President Donald Trump’s cult personality and not rule of law or individuality. Almost the entire campus is in agreement on this subject. So it’s natural to want to protest his very presence on campus.

I think that we are all going about it the wrong way. The best way to protest is simply to ignore him.

Here’s the thing. If you are going to protest, protest for a specific cause. Don’t spend the time and energy protesting one bad speaker who is never going to speak on this campus again. Jeff Sessions and everyone in NU College Republicans, the club that invited him, are probably relishing that a bunch of “triggered” liberals are showing up to scare away a lone conservative from his treasured right to free speech.

After all, it’s not as if Jeff Sessions has a massive youth following. I certainly don’t think that the average young conservative is going to sleep at night wishing to be like Jeff Sessions, staring at the Jeff Sessions Poster in his room… well at least I hope not. Support for impeachment in the polls continues to rise. Jeff Sessions is irrelevant. Protesting him is like protesting the presence of one online, alt-right troll on campus. Give him the inattention he deserves. There are far more impactful protests students can attend, such as the protest to divest from fossil fuels this Thursday which calls from NU to dump it’s massive shares in the coal and oil industries and put that money into investing in clean energy.

— Medill first-year, Roman Raies