First Congregational Church of Evanston celebrates 150 years in Evanston

Evan Robinson-Johnson/Daily Senior Staffer

First Congregational Church of Evanston. The church has been located at the same spot since 1870.

Zamone “Z” Perez, Reporter

The congregation of First Congregational Church of Evanston was formed in 1869, and this year, the parish is celebrating 150 years of worship and engagement in Evanston.

Prohibition activist Frances Willard began her public work when she delivered her speech “The New Crusade” in First Congregational. The church also hosted W.E.B Du Bois after “The Souls of Black Folk” was published. Television host Oprah Winfrey even filmed an episode in the church sanctuary.

But beyond activism and guest speakers, the church has served as a pillar of support for its members and the Evanston community.

When Evanston resident Anne Trompeter battled breast cancer, her husband was not able to go to an appointment with her. But a member of her church went with her instead.

For Trompeter, that moment summed up the community of the church.

“It was nice to have this support from the church,” Trompeter said. “It was a tangible way to really help.”

The congregation, 1445 Hinman Ave., has worshiped on the same piece of land since 1870, when the church was erected on land gifted from Northwestern. Though rebuilt twice, the congregation has been active in Evanston since its inception.

In the community, members of the congregation participate in Interfaith Action of Evanston, a group that serves underprivileged groups in Evanston, promotes interfaith dialogue and fights for social justice. In addition, the Church House, a community center run by First Congregational, provides sack lunches and hosts the homeless during the winter months.

Going forward, Trompeter wants to put a larger focus on welcoming all communities.

“It’s really going to be about serving the underserved. We are not only open and affirming to LGBT people, but really to all humans,” Trompeter said. “First Congregational Church offers a radical welcome.”

Chris Krei and his wife Linda were married in a Congregational church in downstate Illinois, and when they moved to Chicago, they went to various Congregational churches throughout Chicago.

Since deciding to attend First Congregational Church of Evanston and becoming members 12 years ago, Krei said the church has become an extension of his family.

Krei forsees a bright future for the congregation’s next 150 years, as he said the church has changed with an increase in the number of young families.

“It’s great to get our name in the community and be a forefront in Evanston,” Krei said. “Church hasn’t been as important to people now as it was years ago, but we’re glad to say that it is for us.”

For this year’s celebration, the congregation hosted a “Never on a Sunday (morning)” concert, featuring music not heard in church. On Oct 27, First Congregational will hold an anniversary worship service at 10 a.m., with a luncheon after.

The church’s activities also include the personal growth of the congregation, Senior Minister Ann Rosewall said.

“One of my aims is for people to dream closer to each other and closer to God,” Rosewall said. “When people come to our church, whether it’s because of community or because of finding things out about themselves, they are transformed. And they go out and change the world.”

Twitter: @zamoneperez