Rapid Recap: No. 4 Ohio State 52, Northwestern 3.

Joshua Hoffman/The Daily Northwestern

Riley Lees pounds the Ryan Field grass in frustration after dropping a pass. Northwestern was outplayed throughout Friday night’s home game against the visiting Buckeyes.

Charlie Goldsmith

Football

Justin Fields and J.K. Dobbins basically planted Ohio State’s flag in the middle of Ryan Field.

When two of the most dynamic players in college run around like they own the place, it’s hard to beat a team that’s headed for the College Football Playoff.

Fields evaded sacks like it was a habit. On the first series of the game, Northwestern would have forced a three-and-out if Fields hadn’t shaken a shoestring tackle and ran for a first down. On Ohio State’s first touchdown, Fields was hit as he threw but managed to sail the ball to an open Chris Olave in the endzone.

That’s what makes Justin Fields Justin Fields and Ohio State one of the best teams in the country. The Buckeyes hung big points like they always do and beat NU 52-3 in primetime Friday.

After Fields led Ohio State on a 70 yard drive to open the game, he went on to throw for 194 yards and four touchdowns. Junior quarterback Aidan Smith didn’t make nearly the same impression in his second start, struggling to complete passes to open receivers.

Smith led NU on a 44 yard first quarter drive that resulted in a field goal, running for 13 yards to keep the series alive. Sophomore running back Isaiah Bowser added 37 yards on that drive– his best action of the game in his first snaps in three weeks.

Fields added to the Buckeyes lead with a 19-yard pass to Dobbins three minutes into the second quarter. The Cats couldn’t advance ten yards on the following drive, and Dobbins virtually ended the game by himself when his team got the ball back.

He exploded for 67 yards off a halfback draw on the first play of the drive, and he followed that with a five yard touchdown that extended the Buckeyes lead to 18. It didn’t get any closer than that.

1. Quarterback situation remains unsolved. Even though Hunter Johnson was healthy, Smith got the start. He threw three completions for 22 yards in the first half. He ran more than he threw and continued the trend of inconsistent quarterback play. Smith didn’t throw a pass longer than ten yards.

He finished with 42 yards on 30 percent passing, and Johnson didn’t enter the game. Andrew Marty finished the game under center, playing his first snaps of the season.

2. NU’s run defense doesn’t perform as usual. The front seven that brought you the solution to Jonathan Taylor’s Heisman Campaign couldn’t keep Dobbins in front of them. The Cats allow an average of 144 rushing yards per game, and the Buckeyes nearly surpassed that by halftime.

Dobbins wasn’t touched on his 67 yard run in the second quarter, and he averaged 6.7 yards per carry. The rest of the Buckeyes backfield produced as well.

3. It’s a difficult road from here. NU is two losses away from becoming ineligible for a bowl game. No. 23 Iowa comes to Ryan Field next Saturday, bringing one of the best defenses in the country with them.

The Cats haven’t missed a bowl since 2014, but that’s almost certain to happen unless the offense completes a 180 degree turnaround.

Twitter: @2021_Charlie