Blotter: Coats stolen from Uncle Dan’s, $700 of food taken from Whole Foods

Samantha Handler, City Editor

A Skokie man was arrested Thursday in connection with a burglary at Uncle Dan’s, Evanston police said.

Between 1:45 a.m. and 3:30 a.m., witnesses reported a broken window at the store on 1600 Sherman Ave. When officers arrived, they found the window was mostly shattered and there were droplets of blood and shards of glass on the ground, Evanston police Cmdr. Ryan Glew said.

St. Francis Hospital later notified police that a patient came in seeking treatment for hand lacerations and shards of glass covering his body. Police went to the hospital and found the 28-year-old was wearing a coat with an Uncle Dan’s tag and more coats in his bag.

Glew said the man is in custody.

More than $700 of food taken from Whole Foods

A 55-year-old Chicago resident was charged with retail theft after taking $714 of food from Whole Foods on Tuesday.

Glew said police were called to Whole Foods, 1640 Chicago Ave., and found the man behind 1501 Sherman Ave. Officers searched the man and took him into custody, where he said he had taken food from the store. He placed multiple items — including steak, liquor, orange juice, lemonade, scallops, shrimp, seasoning and beef tips — into a basket and left the store. He told police he had “no intention” of paying for the food.

Glew said employees were able to provide a receipt for 58 of the stolen items worth $114.

Twitter: @sn_handler