Blotter: Man arrested for trespassing and retail theft in the same afternoon

Natalie Chun, Reporter

A 42-year-old Evanston man was arrested Tuesday on suspicion of trespassing at Binny’s Beverage Depot at 1111 Chicago Ave. and in connection with retail theft at the Jewel-Osco located at 1128 Chicago Ave., with both events taking place the same afternoon.

A 49-year-old male employee at Binny’s Beverage Depot reported a trespassing around 2:20 p.m. on Tuesday. He and the store’s manager recognized a man from a previous incident, after which he had been told not to return to the store, said Evanston police Cmdr. Ryan Glew.

The manager verbally advised the man that he was not to be in the store, to which he responded that he would leave the premises.

The officer who responded to the scene met with the employee and the manager and was shown documentation that the offender was not to be in the store.

A 39-year-old male employee at Jewel-Osco reported a theft around 3:20 p.m. He and his manager had recognized the man from a previous incident in which he was advised not to come back. The man had cans of beer hidden up the sleeve of his jacket as he tried to exit the store, Glew said. While running, he dropped one can, which was recovered by Jewel staff.

The employee described the man as tall and said he was wearing a blue windbreaker. An officer who dispatched for the theft and trespassing at Binny’s detained a man following the description at the 500 block of Greenleaf Street. After searching the man, police found five 16-oz cans of beer and one 750 ml bottle of vodka. The value of the items taken was $14.78.

The man was arrested and transported to the Evanston police department for the processing of both incidents.