Letter to the Editor: Participate in the Census

Ramona Bleasdale

Once every ten years, we have a crucial opportunity to participate in our democracy: the census. With a more accurate census count, citizens are better represented in the government, and communities are provided with the resources they need.

Reporting for the census is especially important in our home state of Illinois, where young people rank 47th in the country in participation in local elections and low voter registration rates continue to be a serious concern. Participating in the census is a great way for the younger demographic to take a vital step in becoming engaged in our democracy. Illinois is currently at risk of losing at least one congressional seat as a result of the declining population, which would have a detrimental impact on citizens’ voice in government.

Data from the 2020 census will determine how congressional and state legislative district lines
will be redrawn, affecting the representation of communities throughout Illinois. 2010 Census data was used to allocate more than $800 billion in federal funding. Social services, including programs like the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program and Medicare, and even fire departments and public universities, all depend on this funding to effectively serve the communities that rely on them.

Reporting for the census is a quick and easy way to take an active role in our government.
Starting March 12th, you will be able to report online, by mail, or over the phone, using the code
that will be sent to your household. Everyone living in the U.S., regardless of citizenship status,
are encouraged to report, and all information is kept confidential under the law by the U.S.
Census Bureau.

This opportunity won’t come again until 2030, so let’s all complete our civic duty and help to ensure that Illinois is properly funded and that everyone is represented by the government.

— Ramona Bleasdale, University of Illinois at Chicago Student