Jaden Smith to headline A&O Blowout 2019

Jaden+Smith+performs+at+the+Rolling+Loud+music+festival+held+Saturday%2C+Dec.+16%2C+2017+at+the+National+Orange+Show+Events+Center%2C+in+San+Bernardino%2C+Calif.+

Jay L. Clendenin/Los Angeles Times/TNS

Jaden Smith performs at the Rolling Loud music festival held Saturday, Dec. 16, 2017 at the National Orange Show Events Center, in San Bernardino, Calif.

Peter Warren, Print Managing Editor

Jaden Smith will headline the 2019 edition of A&O Blowout, A&O Productions announced in a Monday release.

The annual show, which will be held Saturday evening at Welsh-Ryan Arena, will be the first-ever free Blowout.

Smith released his second studio album “Erys” in July, which reached No. 12 on the Billboard Hot 200. The 21-year-old’s biggest hit is “Icon,” which has amassed over 174 million streams on Spotify. The song was a single off his first studio album “Syre.” In between his two studio albums, Smith also released a mixtape entitled “The Sunset Tapes: A Cool Tape Story.”

In addition to his work as a musical artist, Smith is an actor, clothing designer and philanthropist.

Previous headliners have included pop singer Carly Rae Jepsen and hip-hop artists Lil Uzi Vert and Young Thug.

The opener for Blowout will be producer, DJ and songwriter SOPHIE. Based in Los Angeles, SOPHIE has worked with Madonna, Charli XCX, Vince Staples and Flume.

This year marks the 10th iteration of Blowout and the 50th anniversary of A&O Productions, A&O co-chair Brooke Alsterlind told The Daily earlier this month. But A&O concerts committee head Claire Toomey said the process behind making Blowout happen didn’t necessarily change because of the two milestones.

“We always try to put on shows to the best standard that we can,” Toomey said. “But we were definitely aware of trying to just have something high-energy, have as many people come as possible, and just get people really excited.”

Twitter: @thepeterwarren