Blotter: Target employee arrested for theft at location on Howard, string of Target thefts at Sherman location

Natalie Chun, Reporter

An 18-year-old Chicago resident was arrested on Sunday in connection with a theft of $923 of merchandise from the Target located at 2209 Howard St.

On Sept. 12 at 3:13 p.m., a 34-year-old male Target employee reported the theft, which had taken place a few hours earlier, said Evanston police Cmdr. Ryan Glew. The woman was an employee at another Target location, but came to the Target on Howard Street on Sept. 12.

The woman selected numerous items and went to check out, but prior to paying, she asked if she could speak to customer service about her credit card and the transaction was suspended, Glew said. After speaking to the clerk, the woman took the items and left the store without paying.

The woman turned herself in at 11 a.m. on Sunday and has been charged with a misdemeanor of retail theft.

String of Target thefts at Sherman location

Over the weekend, the Target located at 1616 Sherman Ave. reported four different thefts. At 2:00 p.m. on Thursday and at 9:05 a.m. on Friday, the Target reported alcohol was stolen.

The two thefts could have been carried out by the same person, Glew said, based on the descriptions of the individual. The other two thefts took place at 10:10 a.m. on Saturday and 9:00 a.m. on Sunday, and the items stolen were electronics and alcohol, respectively.

Other than the location, no other connection has been made between the thefts.