Men’s Basketball: Vic Law signs Exhibit 10 contract with Orlando Magic

Daily file photo by Noah Frick-Alofs

Vic Law handles the rock. The 6-foot-7 forward signed a contract with the Orlando Magic on Tuesday.

Peter Warren, Reporter

Men’s Basketball

The NBA’s Orlando Magic signed former Northwestern forward Vic Law to an Exhibit 10 contract Tuesday.

In addition to signing Law, the Magic also signed DaQuan Jeffries to an Exhibit 10 contract and Amile Jefferson to a two-way contract.

Law played with the Magic’s Summer League team in Las Vegas earlier this month. He played in three of Orlando’s five games, averaging 5.7 points and 4.0 rebounds while playing 16 minutes per game.

The 6-foot-7 forward played with fellow Wildcat graduate Dererk Pardon on the Summer League team. Pardon signed with Italian team Pallacanestro Reggiana on July 18.

Law is one of the best basketball players in Wildcats history, despite dealing with injuries. He finished his career with 1442 points for an average of 11.5 per game, and played in 125 games. He was a 36.8 percent shooter from beyond the arc and was one of the best defenders in the conference.

The Illinois native was also an integral part of the 2017 NCAA Tournament team.

Law is looking to become the third Northwestern graduate to play in the NBA this century. Evan Eschmeyer played four seasons with the New Jersey Nets and Dallas Mavericks in the early 2000s and former walk-on Reggie Hearn was on a two-way deal with the Detroit Pistons in 2018.

“Really excited for this opportunity in Orlando for (Law)!” NU coach Chris Collins tweeted. “Can’t wait to watch his pro career ahead!”

An Exhibit 10 contract is a one-year deal for the minimum salary that is usually signed by players who a team wants to be on its training camp roster. If the player is cut before the season begins, designated an affiliate player before the season begins, and accepts a G-League contract, the player will get a bonus.

Players on Exhibit 10 contracts can be converted into a two-way contract before the season begins, which means that the player splits time between an NBA team and its G-League affiliate.

The Magic’s roster currently has 15 players, the maximum allowed for the regular season. In addition to having Jefferson on a two-way deal, Orlando also has Josh Magette on a two-way deal. The Magic also have seven wings on its roster.

Twitter: @thepeterwarren