University Police respond to report of sexual assault by man asking for petition signatures

+A+University+Police+vehicle.+UP+and+the+Evanston+Police+Department+responded+Saturday+to+a+report+of+sexual+assault+in+the+800+block+of+Simpson+St.+in+Evanston.
Back to Article
Back to Article

A University Police vehicle. UP and the Evanston Police Department responded Saturday to a report of sexual assault in the 800 block of Simpson St. in Evanston.

Daily file photo by Allie Goulding

Daily file photo by Allie Goulding

Daily file photo by Allie Goulding

Cameron Cook, Web Editor

Police responded to a report of a sexual assault on Simpson Street in Evanston Saturday night, University Police Chief Bruce Lewis wrote in an email to the Northwestern community. 

The survivor of the assault told police that a man knocked on their door at about 7:30 p.m. Saturday and requested their signature for a petition. The survivor stepped outside to speak with the man, where he “asked a series of personal questions,” and “hugged and fondled the survivor.”

Both UP and the Evanston Police Department responded to the incident. 

“Perpetrators are solely responsible for sexual assaults,” Lewis wrote. “Perpetrators take advantage of vulnerability and seek opportunities to commit sexual assaults. If you are the survivor of a sexual assault, please seek help.” 

Lewis also provided a list of survivor resources other than law enforcement, including the Office of Equity; the Center for Awareness, Response and Education; Counseling and Psychological Services; and Religious and Spiritual Life. 

UP have responded to two other reports of sexual assault this month, according to UP’s police blotter, although neither of the incidents took place in June. 

Email: cameroncook@u.northwestern.edu
Twitter: @cameron_e_cook