Eleven reports of smashed rear windows in South Evanston

Julia Esparza, City Editor

Police responded to reports of criminal destruction of property after several residents reported that their cars’ rear windows were found smashed.

Cars with broken windows were found throughout South Evanston on Sherman Avenue, South Boulevard, Elmwood Avenue, Custer Avenue and Mulford Street, among others. Police believe these incidents may have occurred late in the night Monday through early Tuesday morning, Evanston police Cmdr. Ryan Glew said.

Glew said the incidents appear to have been carried out by the same person or group of people, but the vehicles were chosen randomly. Police do not have any suspects at this time.

Police respond to uncorroborated report of man with a gun near Northwestern campus

The Evanston Police Department received a call around 1 a.m. Tuesday morning to report that a man flashed a holstered gun.

The caller was in the Burger King on Orrington Avenue when a man approached, flashed his gun and demanded the caller leave the restaurant, Glew said. When police responded, employees of the restaurant said a heavily intoxicated man was there and expressed that he was upset that his food was taking a long time to be made. The employees told police that they believe the caller made a false report to the police.

Police checked the area but did not find a man fitting the description offered by the caller.

Twitter: @juliaesparza10