Blotter: Cash register stolen from ice cream parlor

Joshua Irvine, Copy Chief

A cash register and its contents were stolen Tuesday morning from a grocer in the 1900 block of Church Street.

Officers responded shortly after 3:19 a.m. to reports that the glass front door of C&W Market and Ice Cream Parlor had been broken, Evanston police Cmdr. Ryan Glew said. Officers found the lower half of the door damaged with glass shards and a large rock inside the establishment, Glew said.

Glew said the store’s 58-year-old owner contacted police after a former employee called the owner to tell him about damage to his storefront. The employee, a 35-year-old Evanston resident, later told police he did not observe anything or anyone suspicious while contacting the store owner, Glew said.

Multiple cameras were present in the store, Glew said, and security footage captured the burglary. At around 2:10 a.m. a man approached the front of the store, pausing before hurling a rock through the lower half of the door, Glew said. The man then entered the store and yanked the cash register, valued at $100 and containing $50 in cash, off a counter. He then fled down Church Street, Glew said.

Evidence technicians responded to the scene, Glew said, and the store owner will give the CCTV footage to the police. Glew said the store owner plans to file charges.

Twitter: @maybejoshirvine