University reiterates importance of emergency safety protocols in the wake of UNC-Charlotte shooting

David T. Foster III/Charlotte Observer/TNS

UNC Charlotte Chancellor Philip DuBois answers questions during a news conference in the aftermath of a deadly shooting on the campus of UNC Charlotte. In a Wednesday email to students, University Police Chief Bruce Lewis stressed the importance of learning active shooter protocol.

Cameron Cook, Web Editor

University administrators on sent an email Wednesday morning alerting students of a shooting at the University of North Carolina at Charlotte and reminding them of active shooter protocols.

The email, signed by University Police Chief Bruce Lewis, reminded students to “remain vigilant,” and included safety tips to keep in mind in an active shooter situation, such as being aware of exit routes, having an escape plan, knowing one’s exact location and workplace address and not assuming a shooting “will never happen.”

“Our hearts go out to the UNC-Charlotte community, as we grieve along with others in the higher education community,” Lewis wrote in the email. “The shooting serves as a tragic reminder that any campus is at risk for such violence, and it is imperative that we all be prepared for such an incident.”

[Northwestern experienced a gun scare last spring. Read about it here.]

Lewis urged students to watch the University’s “Run, Hide, Fight” safety protocol video. While the video is graphic, Lewis wrote, it serves as an “important tool” in informing community members of the active shooter protocol.

The video, released in November, was produced based on the “Run, Hide, Fight” protocol recommended by the Department of Homeland Security. The DHS program aims to increase emergency preparedness by providing tools and resources in case of an active shooter incident.

Lewis also advised students to report any suspicious activity to UP and to make use of campus resources such as Counseling and Psychological Services.

Twitter: @cam_e_cook