NU chapter of Kappa Kappa Gamma sorority placed on probation by national headquarters

The+Kappa+Kappa+Gamma+sorority+house.+The+chapter+was+put+on+probation+by+their+national+headquarters.+

Owen Stidman/Daily Senior Staffer

The Kappa Kappa Gamma sorority house. The chapter was put on probation by their national headquarters.

Gabby Birenbaum, Campus Editor

Northwestern’s chapter of the Kappa Kappa Gamma sorority has been placed on probation by its national headquarters, according to a letter obtained by The Daily.

The probation was issued on March 10, and will be reviewed in March 2020.

“The Fraternity is concerned with the disregard for the well-being and dignity of new members and the disrespect shown by chapter officers to Fraternity officials,” reads the letter, sent by Kappa Kappa Gamma Fraternity trustee Gail Owen. “These issues display a lack of understanding of and appreciation for our commitment to providing a positive and meaningful experience in Kappa Kappa Gamma.”

Both individual members and the chapter as a whole will be “held accountable,” according to the letter.

Kappa Kappa Gamma president Anya Joseph, a SESP junior, told The Daily in an email that she cannot comment on the sorority’s membership or operations.

In the letter, Owen said issuing the probation was particularly “difficult” because Northwestern’s chapter of the sorority has a 136-year history of “pledging and initiating outstanding women.” The letter said the national headquarters expects that the chapter will return to good standing.

“We expect (the chapter) to…aspire once again to lead with integrity by living and modeling ethical principles,” the letter says.

Twitter: @birenbomb