Evanston restaurants participate in North Shore Restaurant Month

Daily file photo by Zack Laurence

Farmhouse, located at 703 Church St. The restaurant is offering a three-course Prix Fixe menu for North Shore Restaurant Month.

Ashley Capoot, Reporter

For Evanston foodies, February’s claim to fame is not Valentine’s Day, but North Shore Restaurant Month.

During the month, participating restaurants offer select deals and discounts to encourage residents of the North Shore to eat out. At least 85 restaurants are participating in the 11th year of the cost-reducing program.

Dan Kelch, the owner of Lulu’s — a local restaurant located at 1026 Davis Street — said the restaurant always participates in North Shore Restaurant Month. He said the cost-reducing program has consistently helped generate business in the months of February and March, which tends to be slow for restaurants.

This year, Lulu’s is one of 15 restaurants to offer a Prix Fixe deal, where restaurants offer customers a three-course meal for a fixed price. Lulu’s has a Prix Fixe for their menu valued at $18.95 where customers have a choice of an appetizer, an entree and a desert.

“The majority of people that come in end up ordering the Prix Fixe,” Kelch said. “The whole event has been growing over the years and there’s an awful lot of restaurants that participate. We’re all out there trying to offer good deals to people for the month of February, and people really respond to it.”

Farmhouse, a local restaurant located at 703 Church Street, is also offering a Prix Fixe menu, which Communication freshman Emma Soden said she is excited about. Soden said she eats in downtown Evanston when she gets sick of eating her meals in Northwestern’s dining halls.

“I’ve eaten at Farmhouse before and I thought the food was so good,” Soden said. “I love having the chance to eat in Downtown Evanston, and the fixed price of a meal like that would definitely appeal to me, especially as a college student.”

Other restaurants like Rock ‘N Ravioli, located at 1012 Church Street, have found different ways to offer discounts to their customers. Ron Onesti, the restaurant’s owner, said he decided to offer his customers a buy one entree, get one free deal to showcase more of the restaurant’s authentic Italian cuisine.

Rock ‘N Ravioli opened in January of 2018, and Onesti said he is thrilled to be a part of this year’s North Shore Restaurant Month.

“Being new to Evanston … I’ve found that the people of Evanston truly appreciate unique dining experiences,” he said. “When I was offered to be a part of this great fraternity of eateries in Evanston, I jumped at the chance to be considered as part of that team.”

Twitter: @ashleycapoot