Blotter: Man arrested for home repair fraud

Clare Proctor, Assistant City Editor

The Evanston Police Department arrested a 38-year-old man Tuesday on a charge of home repair fraud.

In October 2018, a 45-year-old Evanston resident reported that he had contracted out his neighbor to do concrete work on his home, EPD Cmdr. Ryan Glew said. The neighbor who was arrested charged a $375 deposit for the work, and a couple weeks later, he asked for $140 to pay for medicine for an ailment. The 45-year-old said that was last time he was in contact with the man, and his home repairs were never started, Glew added.

The neighbor was previously charged with three other incidents of home repair fraud last month, Glew said. The Evanston man was arrested at the Skokie Courthouse, where he was appearing for one of the other charges, Glew added.

Glew said the man will likely serve time in prison for his charges.

Window broken at Albany Care

A 45-year-old man broke the window of Albany Care — a mental health facility in the 900 block of Maple Avenue — Tuesday.

The man, formerly a resident of the facility, struck the window from the exterior multiple times with his fist, causing the glass to shatter, Glew said. An employee who reported the crime said the man was already upset concerning domestic issues with his grandson and had no intention to harm anyone, Glew added.

The center is allowing the man to pay restitution for the damages, rather than filing a criminal complaint, Glew said.

Twitter: @ceproctor23