Evanston police seek help finding missing Northwestern student Gabriel Corona

Syd Stone and Catherine Kim

Source: Evanston Police Department
Gabriel Corona was reported missing by Evanston police on Wednesday. He is believed to be wearing the black jacket above.

Update, Feb. 2: Gabriel Corona was found in “good physical condition,” the University said.

A Northwestern student has been reported missing by Evanston Police.

The Evanston Police Department says the student, Gabriel Corona, was last seen by his roommate on Tuesday, Jan. 29, at 9 a.m. EPD is seeking the public’s help, as there is “great concern for Corona’s safety.”

University Police Chief Bruce Lewis also issued a statement asking students to be on the lookout for Corona. He described Corona as 6 feet tall and about 200 pounds. However, Lewis warned students of putting themselves at risk by going out in the cold to search for him.

The National Weather Service predicts temperatures will reach below negative 20 degrees, with wind chills of 30 to 50 below zero, warning of “extreme excessive cold risk” from Tuesday to Thursday.

“The weather right now impacts everything,” EPD Cmdr. Ryan Glew told The Daily. “There’s always a concern when someone’s unaccounted for and you have this kind of weather. It’s dangerous to everyone and even more so to somebody that appears to be missing.”

Corona is believed to be wearing a black winter jacket when he left his Evanston residence, but did not take his cell phone with him, according to Evanston police. Foul play is not suspected.

Glew said detectives might be able to locate Corona through his use of public transit as EPD is able to track Ventra cards, although he said it is not possible to do so in real time. According to a tweet update from EPD on Thursday afternoon, Corona is believed to have been in the downtown Chicago area on Tuesday, Jan. 29 at 1:30 p.m.

EPD is taking the lead on the investigation as Northwestern University Police will assist.

If you have information about Corona’s location can contact the Evanston Police Detective Bureau at 847-866-5040 or the Evanston Police Front Desk at 847-866-5000.

This story was updated Wednesday at 4:15 p.m. to include the statement from Bruce Lewis.

This story was updated Thursday at 8:30 p.m. to include the EPD tweet.

Twitter: @Sydstone16

Twitter: @ck_525