Evanston police investigates allegations of ‘inappropriate’ conduct by ETHS Employee

Daily file photo by Noah Frick-Alofs

ETHS/District 202 superintendent Eric Witherspoon at a District 202 board meeting. In a brief statement distributed yesterday to students, families and staff, Witherspoon said the district was made aware of allegations on January 8.

Catherine Henderson, City Editor

The Evanston Police Department has launched an investigation into inappropriate conduct by an Evanston Township High School employee.

Police Cmdr. Ryan Glew described the recent incident as “inappropriate contact between an employee and students.”

Glew said two students have reported incidents at this point. Although Glew said he could not name the employee, he emphasized that the person is not a teacher, coach or counselor.

Glew said the investigation — which launched on January 9 — will proceed with “a certain amount of sensitivity” because the alleged victims are high school students. He said it is too early in the investigation to know when and what charges will be filed, and nobody has been charged at this time.

In a brief statement distributed yesterday to students, families and staff, ETHS/District 202 superintendent Eric Witherspoon said the district was made aware of allegations on January 8 and “immediately launched a thorough internal investigation and took appropriate measures to inform the Evanston Police Department.”

Witherspoon added that the district is cooperating with the EPD and will determine future changes according to district policy.

Twitter: @caity_henderson