Blotter: Man asks to call mother, arrested for spitting on EPD officer

Cameron Cook, Assistant Campus Editor

Evanston Police Department officers arrested a man Friday in the 400 block of Sheridan Road in south Evanston after he resisted arrest and spat on an officer.

The man, a 24-year-old Evanston resident was walking along Sheridan Road when he saw EPD officers in a police cruiser and ran away, said Evanston police Cmdr. Ryan Glew.

When officers caught up to the man, he refused to identify himself and asked officers why they were bothering him and told them he wanted to call his mother. Officers attempted to handcuff the man, at which point he resisted and pulled an officer to the ground, Glew said.

Once handcuffed, the man also resisted getting into a police cruiser, and spit in the face of one of the officers, Glew said.

At the station, officers found one gram of cannabis and a folded up piece of aluminum foil with residue of narcotics, Glew added.

Baby food stolen from CVS

EPD officers on Thursday afternoon responded to a report of retail theft at the 1711 Sherman Ave. CVS in downtown Evanston.

A 28-year-old CVS employee told officers that two men wearing black jackets and khaki pants entered the store, walked back toward the pharmacy and stole several jars of baby food, Glew said.

The employee stopped the men and asked them if they were stealing the food. They said no, then walked out the door without paying the $312 they owed, Glew said.

“Not exactly a highbrow heist here,” he added.

Twitter: @cam_e_cook