University Police increase patrols after men target female students

A+University+Police+car.++

Allie Goulding / Daily Senior Staffer

A University Police car.

Alan Perez, Campus Editor

University Police Chief Bruce Lewis reiterated Northwestern’s concern for safety after three separate incidents in recent days of men targeting female students on campus..

“We have heard the concerns of the community, and we want to provide information regarding the incidents and our committed response,” Lewis wrote in an email to the Northwestern community. “We have no higher priority than the safety and security of our students and the wider community.”

The email comes as some students voice frustration on social media with the University’s response to the three reported incidents. Most are criticizing the University for being slow to alert the community of the reports. , NU is required by the Clery Act, a federal law, to disclose campus crime reports when they believe a threat exists on campus.

In the email, Lewis described the three incidents that prompted the concern, which all involved a female student who was grabbed from behind.

Last night, two men approached a female student in the 1800 block of Hinman Avenue Thursday at 5:30 p.m. and grabbed the top handle of her backpack. The student was able to run away from the two men, who fled away from campus. University and Evanston police patrolled the area, Lewis said in a different email, but were unable to locate anyone matching the descriptions of the men. They were about 6 feet tall, and one was wearing a hooded sweatshirt.
UP arrested a different man for battery after a student reported he grabbed her from behind on Nov. 4 while she was walking on University Place near Scott Hall. A second student reported a similar incident that occurred last week near Chicago Avenue and Sheridan Road. Those two incidents had different suspects, University spokesperson Bob Rowley told The Daily.

Lewis said UP is increasing patrols on the Evanston campus. Lewis suggested the community use “extra caution” and report suspicious activity.

Twitter: @_perezalan