Northwestern asks faculty to rethink relationships with Saudi Arabia

Daily file photo by David Lee

Northwestern has asked its faculty to reassess their relationship with Saudi Arabia. The move comes after media revealed that the Saudi regime had donated millions of dollars to American universities, including $14.4 million to Northwestern.

Alan Perez, Campus Editor

Northwestern is asking its faculty to reconsider its relationships with Saudi Arabia, just days after the University’s funding from a Saudi research organization was brought into question.

Earlier this week, media revealed that the Saudi regime had donated millions of dollars to American universities, including $14.4 million to Northwestern. The funds to NU, from the King Abdulaziz City for Science and Technology, came in the form of contracts and a $45,000 monetary gift.

“We have reviewed our funding from Saudi Arabia and determined that the vast majority of the funds received have been to faculty in the form of grants for basic science research,” Bob Rowley, a University spokesman, said in a statement, adding that the results of the research will be shared to spread “global benefits.”

However, he added that the University is asking faculty to reassess their relationships with Saudi Arabia.

The ties came under fire after Jamal Khashoggi, a Saudi writer for The Washington Post, was killed inside a Saudi consulate in Turkey last month. Khashoggi was on self-imposed exile and was critical of the Saudi government in his columns for the Post.

The kingdom, in changing and sometimes contradictory accounts, has described the incident as one carried out by rogue government operatives. But Turkish officials and others suspect high-level Saudi officials ordered Khashoggi’s death, including the de facto leader Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman. The kingdom has denied the accusation.

“Northwestern extends heartfelt condolences to the friends, family and colleagues of Mr. Khashoggi,” Rowley said.

Universities like the Massachusetts Institute Technology and Columbia University have joined Northwestern in saying they are reconsidering their Saudi funding.

Twitter: @_perezalan_