Blotter: Woman arrested, charged with DUI among other charges

Amelia Langas, Development & Recruitment Editor

A 62-year-old woman was arrested south of downtown Evanston Wednesday after she crashed her car in the 1500 block of Dempster Street.

At 10:20 p.m. on Wednesday, the Evanston Police Department responded to a car crash. The responding officer saw the Evanston resident attempting to drive away in her vehicle, a 2010 black Dodge, Evanston police Cmdr. Ryan Glew said. The officer told the woman to turn off the car and exit the vehicle, which she did.

Glew said the officer noticed signs of intoxication and administered field sobriety tests. However, the woman was unable to stand without assistance and was having trouble answering questions. The woman told the officer she had a medical condition, but when the Evanston Fire Department arrived, they said her current state was not a result of the medical condition.

EPD also found seven hydrocodone pills in the woman’s car.

The woman was arrested and charged with one count of DUI, a misdemeanor, one count of DUI fourth offence, a felony, one felony count of driving with a revoked or suspended license and one misdemeanor count of the same, and possession of a controlled substance.

Instrument stolen from Nichols Middle School

On Wednesday, a 49-year-old man came to the EPD station to report that his 12-year-old son’s viola had been stolen.

The Evanston resident reported that the theft happened sometime between 6:30 p.m. on Oct. 2 and 7:30 a.m. on Oct. 3, Glew said. The man said he had rented the viola, valued at $850, for his son and it had been stolen from the Nichols Middle School music room in the 800 block of Greenleaf Street.

EPD is not investigating this case. It will be followed up by the school resource officer.

Twitter: @amelialangas