Marijuana possession referred for discipline sharply decreased in 2017

Drug law violations plummeted last year on the Evanston campus, while reports in stalking doubled, according to the University’s annual security report released Monday.

Drug law violations referred for disciplinary action on the Evanston campus fell to one in 2017 from 48 in 2016, although 42 cases involving less than 10 grams of weed were reported. Possession of less than 10 grams of the drug in Illinois was downgraded to a civil offense in 2016.

The Obama Education Department told schools in 2016 they were not obligated under federal law to report instances involving possession of weed in states where the offense was decriminalized. The Trump administration has indicated it could take a harsher stance against marijuana possession.

Reports of stalking on the Evanston campus rose to 16 from eight the year before. Reports of aggravated assault also rose from one to six, five of which took place in housing residences.

Reports of rape on the Evanston campus declined from 13 to nine, eight of which occured in on-campus housing. Liquor violations referred for discipline remained close to last year, while the number was almost half the 2015 numbers.

One case of on-campus and two cases of off-campus domestic violence were reported in 2017 in Evanston. Total reports increased from zero to three between 2015 and 2017. The Chicago campus experienced a more dramatic surge in reported cases of domestic violence, from three in 2015 to 15 in 2017.

The number of burglary reports on the Evanston campus decreased from 33 to 22, six of which occured in student housing facilities. Motor vehicle theft fell from seven reports to one. No weapon law violations and arrests took place in the past two years.

The Chicago campus, on the other hand, experienced a noticeable increase in reports of burglary, from 10 in 2016 to 17 in 2017.

In addition, NU released data on the number of crimes classified as hate crimes. One instance of criminal damage due to racial or ethnicity bias was reported in 2017.

The report also included data on NU’s fire safety. The University conducted 111 fire drills in 2017, while the number of fires in residential facilities rose from three in 2016 to seven in 2017.

The Clery Act requires institutions receiving federal financial aid, like Northwestern, to maintain and disclose campus crime statistics and security information.

This story was updated at 11:30 with additional information

Twitter: @_perezalan_

Twitter: @thejonahdylan