Wood honored as Big Ten Freshman of the Week

Peter Warren, Sports Editor

Women’s Soccer

For the second time this season, freshman goalkeeper Mackenzie Wood was honored as Big Ten Freshman of the Week. Wood earned her third weekly award after her performance against then-No. 20 Penn State and Ohio State.

First, Northwestern defeated the visiting Nittany Lions on Friday behind an impressive performance from Wood. Penn State took 16 shots and earned 11 corners but failed to find the back of the net as Wood made six saves.

Then, Wood held the Buckeyes scoreless for almost 100 minutes before Ohio State’s Izzy Rodriguez curled in a free kick following a controversial foul. Wood finished with six saves again during the game.

“She is very dynamic, she is very springy, she has very quick reflexes,” coach Michael Moynihan said. “There are still things she is working on. She wants to get up and play for the national team.”

Wood won her first Freshman of the Week, as well as her first Goalkeeper of the Week, award on Aug. 28 after posting shutouts against Iowa State and West Virginia. Over 200 minutes of action, Wood made 11 saves and was named Boilermaker Challenge Cup Defensive MVP.

Through 11 games, Wood has played every minute of every game. She has allowed only five goals despite facing 121 shots. Of those 121 shots, she has made 41 saves.

In addition to Wood, three other Cats players have earned Big Ten Player of Week honors — senior forward Brenna Lovera, senior defender Kayla Sharples and freshman defender Julietta Thron.

Charlie Goldsmith contributed reporting.

Twitter: @thepeterwarren