Seidel, Kalfas named Big Ten Players of the Week

Daily file photo by Kate Salvidio

Annie Kalfas prepares to defend a corner. The junior goalkeeper did not allow a goal this weekend.

Peter Warren, Sports Editor

Northwestern claimed all three of the Big Ten’s weekly field hockey awards Monday for the previous week.

Freshman forward Maren Seidel was named Offensive Player of the Week and Freshman of the Week while junior goalkeeper Annie Kalfas was named Defensive Player of the Week.

Seidel provided the goal-scoring spark in both of the No. 10 Wildcats’ victories this weekend. First against then-No. 13 Iowa, Seidel opened the scoring when she deflected in a shot off the stick of senior midfielder Puck Pentenga. Two days later, Seidel deflected in another goal off a Pentenga shot to start the scoring for NU against then-No. 25 California. Seidel scored her second goal of the game again off a feed from Pentenga.

The Germany native becomes the first freshman to win a non-Freshman of the Week award this season.

Kalfas was a brick wall in net over the weekend. The netminder held both ranked opponents scoreless over 140:00 of action in Evanston. Making six stops in the two games, Kalfas lowered her goals against average to 1.45 and improved her save percentage to .733. This was the first time Kalfas was named a Big Ten Player of the Week.

The awards were the first wins Northwestern this season. It is the first time one team has swept all three awards this season and the first time one Big Ten team has swept the awards since Michigan accomplished the feat in 2017.

Twitter: @thepeterwarren