Evanston sees decrease in part one crimes

Daily file photo by Zack Laurence

An Evanston Police Department squad car. EPD announced a 20 percent decrease in part one crimes Wednesday.

Elizabeth Byrne, Summer Editor

Part one crimes in Evanston have decreased by 20 percent in for the first six months of 2018 compared to the same time period in 2017, according to a Wednesday news release.

Part one crimes include assault, burglary and murder. Of those crimes, burglaries decreased most, the release said. There have been 107 burglaries in Evanston during the first six months of 2018, compared to 180 in 2017.

There has also been a 20 percent decrease in theft, the release said. Burglaries and thefts account for over 80 percent of part one crimes in Evanston, the release said.

At a press conference announcing his retirement, Evanston Police Chief Richard Eddington said Evanston has seen a 39 percent decrease in part one crimes since 2007. The release said this year’s numbers reflect a “continuation of a decrease in part one crimes during Chief Eddington’s tenure.”

“This has a unique impact on the quality of life in the City of Evanston,” Eddington said at the press conference. “That translates into thousands of less victims.”

Twitter: @lizbyrne33