Illinois Democrats push Rauner to enact health care changes

Daily file photo by Colin Boyle

U.S. Rep. Jan Schakowsky (D-Ill.) speaks at Northwestern in 2016. Schakowsky joined 10 other Democratic representatives from Illinois to push for health care reform in the state.

Catherine Henderson, Assistant City Editor

The 11 Illinois Democrats in the U.S. House of Representatives wrote a second letter Tuesday pushing Republican Gov. Bruce Rauner to protect constituents from spikes in health insurance premiums.

According to a news release, U.S. Reps. Jan Schakowsky (D-Ill.) and Bobby Rush (D-Ill.) led nine others in writing the letters following President Donald Trump’s executive order dismantling parts of the Affordable Care Act.

The group mailed Rauner the first letter on April 13, outlining six ideas to stabilize insurance rates in Illinois, including providing a basic plan for coverage, strengthening oversight of insurance marketplaces and passing a state-level individual mandate.

In the most recent letter, representatives said they had concerns about “serious negative consequences,” particularly for constituents relying on Get Covered Illinois — a website available through the state where people can compare health plans.

Tuesday’s letter cited data from the progressive think tank Center for American Progress, estimating that average premiums will increase by $1,211 in Illinois. The end of the individual mandate and the expansion of short-duration plans without basic protections are at the root of this increase, the letter said.

“The evidence is mounting that Trump Administration decisions to sabotage the Affordable Care Act will have serious consequences for our constituents,” the group wrote in the letter. “Illinois could act now to … avoid higher rates next year. Yet, each day that goes by makes it more difficult to act effectively.”

Rauner has yet to respond to the Democrats’ request.

Twitter: @caity_henderson