Northwestern student Dominic Davis dies after battle with cancer

Source: Sophie Steger

Northwestern student Dominic Davis.

Maddie Burakoff, Print Managing Editor

Bienen sophomore Dominic Davis has passed away after a battle with cancer, Linda Jacobs, the school’s assistant dean for student affairs, told music students in a Tuesday email.

Davis, who studied horn performance at Northwestern, had been diagnosed with jaw bone cancer during his freshman year.

Growing up in Indiana, Davis attended Valparaiso High School and commuted to Illinois on weekends to play in the Chicago Youth Symphony Orchestra. He had discovered a passion for playing the French horn before sixth grade and had pursued it ever since, according to a February story in North by Northwestern.

“The horn was an extension of myself,” Davis told NBN. “I could just sing a melody and play it on the horn and it felt like another part of my voice.”

Dean of Students Todd Adams told The Daily in an email that the University was informed of Davis’ death on Tuesday. As of Tuesday evening, Adams said he was unaware of plans for a memorial on campus.

“Our collective thoughts are with Dominic’s family and friends during this most difficult time,” Adams said.

Jason Armstrong, a funeral director in Valparaiso, Indiana, told The Daily in a Wednesday email that Davis’ visitation will be held Friday afternoon at Moeller Funeral Home in Valparaiso. The funeral mass will take place Saturday at St. Paul Catholic Church, with burial to follow at Angelcrest Cemetery, Armstrong said.

Armstrong said memorials are requested to the Chicago Youth Symphony Orchestra.

This story was updated Wednesday at 6:50 p.m. to include information from funeral director Jason Armstrong about the visitation and funeral for Davis.

Twitter: @madsburk