Seven Medill alumni to be inducted into Hall of Achievement

Source: Northwestern

Kevin Blackistone, Mervin Block, Patricia Callahan, Jose Costa, Karen Ferguson Fuson, Gillian Flynn and John Schulian. The seven NU alumni will be inducted into the Medill Hall of Achievement.

Jonah Dylan, Campus Editor

The Medill School of Journalism will induct seven alumni into its Hall of Achievement, the school’s highest honor, later this month.

The inductees include Kevin Blackistone (Medill ’81), Mervin Block (Medill ’59), Patricia Callahan (Medill ’93), Jose Costa (Medill ’04), Karen Ferguson Fuson (Medill ’92), Gillian Flynn (Medill ’97) and John Schulian (Medill ’68).

“These alumni truly represent the best of Medill,” Medill dean Brad Hamm said in a Monday news release. “They have distinguished themselves in their fields and are a credit to their alma mater. We are proud to recognize their outstanding achievements.”

Flynn is the award-winning author of the thriller novel “Gone Girl,” which was adapted into a 2014 film starring Ben Affleck and Rosamund Pike. Her novel “Sharp Objects” is currently being adapted into an HBO miniseries starring Amy Adams.

Blackistone is a columnist for The Washington Post and a contributor to ESPN’s “Around the Horn.” Block has written scripts for broadcasters at CBS, NBC and ABC, as well as multiple books on broadcast news writing that are still used in classrooms today.

Callahan is an investigative reporter for the Chicago Tribune and has shared two Pulitzer Prizes. Costa is the CEO of For Eyes, an optical retailer, and has worked in leadership roles at Maaco and Burger King.

Before stepping away to pursue a future in higher education, Ferguson Fuson worked as the west group president for the USA Today network, and she previously worked at the Arizona Republic and the Indianapolis Star. Schulian is a reporter and sports columnist who previously worked for the Chicago Sun-Times and the Philadelphia Daily News. He also created the TV series “Xena: Warrior Princess.”

The Hall of Achievement was established in 1997 and includes a number of distinguished Medill alumni. Blackistone will be honored in the fall, while the other six honorees will be recognized during a ceremony and panel discussion on May 17.

Twitter: @thejonahdylan