City’s fleet operations unit named 1 of 100 best fleets in North America

(Daily file photo by Sara Gnolek)

Evanston Police Department cars sit parked. Evanston’s fleet operations unit was ranked 83rd in North America and includes police and utility vehicles.

Syd Stone, City Editor

Evanston’s fleet operations unit was ranked 83rd of the 100 best fleets in North America by the annual “The 100 Best Fleets in the Americas” program.

Fleet operations in Evanston is a part of the city’s Facilities and Fleet Division in the Administrative Services department. Operations staff maintain repair services for the city’s approximately 350 pieces of equipment, including police and utility vehicles, according to a Friday news release.

The recognition was announced at the 2018 NAFA Institute and Expo among fleet and mobility professionals April 24 to 27.

The program recognizes “peak performing fleet operations in North America,” according to the news release. Technology, performance, collaboration, service turnaround time and accountability are all criteria for the award.

Evanston was recognized for its fleet management information system, training and its use of new technology and alternative fuels, among others. The city was one of only six Illinois fleets to be recognized on the list, including Moline, Naperville, Forest Preserve District of DuPage County, Pace Suburban Bus and Chicago.

“From fighting fires to maintaining roadways to ensuring public safety, Evanston depends on an efficient, reliable fleet to keep the city rolling,” Mayor Steve Hagerty said in the release. “Being recognized as one of the 100 Best Fleets shows the City’s commitment to continuous improvement, environmental stewardship and the use of the latest technology.”

Twitter: @sydstone16