City begins asphalt pavement patching program

(Daily file photo by Jeffrey Wang)

The corner of Church Street and Orrington Avenue in downtown Evanston. The city is beginning an asphalt pavement patching program that includes about 150 locations and will last four weeks.

Syd Stone, City Editor

J.A. Johnson Paving of Arlington Heights, Illinois, has been contracted by Evanston to patch large areas of asphalt pavement at approximately 150 locations over the next four weeks.

Once completed, the patching program will improve the condition of about 27,000 total square yards of pavement, according to a city news release. The project is monitored by the city’s Public Services Bureau.

Although work at most locations should only take a few hours, motorists should expect delays in construction zones as flaggers route traffic around the work crews. Some locations will take longer where larger areas of pavement need resurfacing.

The city has previously worked with J.A. Johnson Paving, which specializes in commercial and municipal projects, including on a May 2017 pavement patching project on Chicago Avenue between Main Street and Greenleaf Street.

J.A. Johnson Paving employees will remove the top two inches of distressed and failing asphalt and replace it with fresh pavement. According to the release, once the new asphalt is laid, compacted and cooled, streets will be open to traffic.

“No Parking” signs will be posted 48 hours in advance of when the restriction is enforced and will be specific to the daily work zones, according to the release.

Twitter: @sydstone16