EPD announces results of Drop it and Drive campaign

Daily file photo by Zack Laurence

An Evanston Police Department squad car. EPD announced Tuesday the results of its Drop it and Drive campaign.

Syd Stone, City Editor

The Evanston Police Department issued 415 citations during Illinois’ first two-week distracted driving campaign, Drop it and Drive.

The campaign was part of national Distracted Driving Awareness Month, an effort supported by the Illinois Department of Transportation.

“Driver distraction is a persistent issue in Evanston and often has life-altering consequences,” EPD traffic unit Sgt. Tracy Williams said in a Tuesday EPD release. “We implemented this enforcement action to encourage motorists to drop it and drive.”

During the campaign, which ran April 16-30, EPD’s traffic unit handled 328 distracted driver citations, nine seat belt citations, four child car seat citations, seven suspended or revoked license citations, 13 uninsured motorists, 11 speeding citations and 41 other citations.

“Distracted Driving Awareness Month may be over, but the Evanston Police Department will continue working to stop residents from engaging in this deadly behavior,” Williams said.

The Drop it and Drive campaign was funded by the Illinois Department of Transportation, according to the release.

Twitter:
@sydstone16