Blotter: Man reportedly pulls knife, threatens driver during traffic altercation

Colin Boyle, Photo Editor

A man reportedly drew a knife and made verbal threats Thursday afternoon to a driver near the intersection of Dempster Street and Ridge Avenue.

A 44-year-old man from Winthrop Harbor, Illinois, was involved in an altercation with another driver at 3:00 p.m. The man was driving eastbound on Dempster Street, pulling into a parking lot on the south side of Dempster between Dodge Avenue and Asbury Avenue, Evanston police Cmdr. Ryan Glew said.

When he parked the vehicle, a red Nissan pulled up in front of him, parking in the traffic lane. The driver of the Nissan, described as a white man between 60 and 65 years of age, exited quickly and approached the 44-year-old, Glew said.

The man shouted at him, and when the 44-year-old told him to return to his car, the man presented a knife from his waistband, shouting “Do you want to get messed up?” before returning to his vehicle, Glew said. He was last seen leaving westbound on Dempster.

The 44-year-old stated he would be able to identify the man if he saw him again. The incident was recorded on his dashcam video, Glew said. The Nissan driver’s license plate was also recorded.

Nobody is in custody at this time and the investigation is pending, Glew said.

Twitter: @colinbphoto