Blotter: Evanston man charged in connection with aggravated battery

Nikki Baim, Reporter

A 26-year-old Evanston man was arrested Tuesday in connection with aggravated battery.

The man turned himself in to police after detectives identified him as the suspect in a gas station assault, Evanston police Cmdr. Ryan Glew said.

On March 23, the man arrived at the station in the 2400 block of Main Street at about 7 p.m. When he got there, he threatened a 40-year-old Chicago man who works at the gas station into coming to the pump, Glew said.

When the employee met the man at his vehicle, the 26-year-old punched the employee in the face. He then pulled out the employee’s hair, knocked him to the ground and continued to punch him, Glew said.

The employee pressed an emergency call button, and the man fled in a black Kia. He threatened to shoot the employee as he drove away.

Police obtained the suspect’s license plate number through footage captured on the station’s surveillance camera, Glew said. The number was traced to the owner of the vehicle — the 26-year-old — and he was shown to the employee in a photo lineup. The employee recognized him as the man who beat him.

At the police station, the man said he battered the employee because the Chicago man had refused services for his girlfriend earlier in the day.

The 26-year-old was charged with one count of aggravated battery.

Apple iPad, Smart Keyboard stolen at parking garage

An Apple iPad and Smart Keyboard were stolen Wednesday afternoon in central Evanston.

An 82-year-old Wilmette man set his iPad on top of a pay station while making a transaction at a parking garage in the 500 block of Church Street, Glew said. After completing the purchase, Glew said the man left the iPad on the pay station.

The man returned 15 minutes later to retrieve his iPad, but it was gone, Glew said. He reported the theft to garage security. A surveillance camera showed an unidentified man using the pay station and taking the iPad, Glew said.

The iPad was valued at $600 and the Smart Keyboard at $200. Police have not yet identified any suspects.

Twitter: @nikkibaim