Blotter: Chicago man arrested in connection with aggravated assault

Colin Boyle, Photo Editor

A Chicago man was arrested in connection with aggravated assault Saturday morning.

Police responded at 5:31 a.m. to a report of a man with a gun. Evanston police Cmdr. Ryan Glew said a 38-year-old Evanston woman called officers when the man attempted to force his way into the residence, claiming he wanted to see his daughter.

The woman reported that the man appeared to be holding a black semiautomatic handgun.

Glew said the man was located at the rear of the building and was taken into custody. Police were initially unable to locate the weapon. After later reviewing video footage that showed the offender holding a handgun, patrol officers located a loaded firearm beneath a garbage can, Glew said.

Chicago man charged in connection with obstructing identification

A Chicago man was arrested Friday morning in connection with obstructing identification.

Officers were dispatched to the CVS at 101 Asbury Ave. in response to a report of a person stealing vitamins. Upon arrival, Glew said officers met with a CVS employee who gave a description of the suspect.

A man who matched the employee’s description was found at a nearby McDonald’s at 1117 Howard St. Glew said the man gave an incorrect first name when officers initially asked for identification. During the follow-up investigation, the man admitted to providing a fictitious name and proceeded to identify himself correctly.

When officers located an insurance card with the man’s real name, they learned he had an active warrant for his arrest, Glew said.

Twitter: @colinbphoto