Evanston ranks second in Illinois for livable, environmentally friendly streets

Church Street in downtown Evanston.

Source: Patrick Deignan

Church Street in downtown Evanston.

Samantha Handler, Assistant City Editor

Evanston’s Complete and Green Streets policy — which addresses the livability and environmental needs of the city — was ranked second in Illinois by Smart Growth America, according to a Tuesday city news release.

The organization — which works with city officials around the nation to improve communities’ sustainability — gave Evanston a score of 94.4 out of 100, which was among the best scores in the country, according to the release.

Calumet City was the only city in Illinois to outscore Evanston, earning 96 points. The release said Complete Streets policies aim to increase the livability of communities by facilitating “safe and convenient” movement across all demographics and types of transportation.

Smart Growth America grades Complete Streets policies by reviewing plan elements such as their implementation steps and vision for how and why the community wants to improve its streets, the organization’s website said.

According to the release, Evanston updated its policy last year to make sure projects involving rights-of-way and public spaces enable people of all ages and modes of transportation.

“Evanston is on a mission to create the most livable city for everyone,” Mayor Steve Hagerty said in the release. “The city’s updated Complete and Green Streets policy paves the way for all community members to safely access Evanston’s excellent transportation networks, visit our beautiful public spaces, and enjoy all our city has to offer.”

Twitter: @sn_handler