Blotter: Burglary reported at Wheel and Sprocket on Monday

Julia Esparza, Copy Chief

Officers responded to a burglar alarm set off at Wheel and Sprocket bike shop, 1027 Davis St., early Monday morning.

Evanston police communications coordinator Perry Polinski told The Daily in an email that when officers arrived on the scene around 12:15 a.m., they observed that the front door glass was broken. He said a person entered the bike shop and took a red Trek electric bicycle valued at approximately $5,000. He said the person then fled the scene on the bike going east.

Polinski said the suspect was described as wearing dark clothing and gloves. Police do not have anyone in custody at this time.

Criminal damage to home reported in south Evanston

A 40-year-old Evanston resident reported criminal damage to his home in the 1400 block of Howard Street on Monday morning.

Around 1 a.m., the Evanston resident alerted police that a person broke two of his apartment windows, Polinski said. The man told police he had been playing cards with two other people when one of them became upset during an argument and used a brick to break his windows.

Polinski said the man was initially asked to leave and complied. A few minutes later, the Evanston resident’s kitchen and living room windows were broken. The suspect was described as a black male, of unknown age, approximately 6 foot 7 inches tall, with glasses.

Polinski said he was last seen wearing a black and grey hat and brown pants. The resident was only able to share a “minimal” description of the man with police since he was only a companion of the other card player.

Twitter: @juliaesparza10