Suffredin wins primary in reelection bid for Cook County commissioner

Larry Suffredin speaks at an event. The Cook County Commissioner cruised to victory in the Democratic primary on Tuesday.

Samantha Handler, Assistant City Editor

Commissioner Larry Suffredin will advance to the general election in the race for Cook County commissioner in the 13th District, getting him one step closer to reelection.

Suffredin — who was first elected to the position in 2002 — had over 58 percent of the vote with 82 percent of precincts reporting on Tuesday, beating out first-time contenders Bushra Amiwala and Daniel Foster.

Suffredin told The Daily he is grateful for the campaign and that he has learned from his opponents. He added that he hopes Amiwala and Foster will continue to be involved in local politics.

“At this point, the way I’ve interacted with the constituents and (explained) to them why I take certain positions, even if they disagree with me, they respect the fact that I communicate with them,” Suffredin said. “I think the votes I’ve got are from people who appreciate the efforts I have made.”

The commissioner serves a four-year term on the board, which appropriates funds for county operations. The Cook County Board is made up of seventeen commissioners and also creates policy and laws concerning public health and safety.

In the general election, Suffredin will face and likely defeat businessman Chris Hanusiak, who ran unopposed in the Republican primary. Suffredin has won at least 65 percent in each of his general elections.

“I have a feeling that in November we’ll have a spirited election, because he’ll be trying to do things to assist whoever the Republican candidate for governor is and just to create havoc,” Suffredin said.

Suffredin told The Daily earlier this month that there are still issues he wants to work on, including improving the quality of the healthcare system, better funding the forest preserve and give people “confidence that we are properly running the government.”

He added that he also wants to see which issues other board members will prioritize.

“If I’m fortunate enough to be reelected, I think there is potential that the new Cook County Board could have as many as five new members,” Suffredin said. “I would wait to see who they are and then sit down to figure out strategies and work with them.”

Twitter: @sn_handler