Lacrosse: Northwestern seeks revenge against Stony Brook

Daily file photo by Katie Pach

Shelby Fredericks surveys the field. The senior attacker wants the Cats to stick with what they have been doing against Stony Brook.

Andrew Golden, Reporter

Lacrosse

After avenging last year’s loss against No. 13 USC, No. 10 Northwestern looks to continue its revenge tour against No. 1 Stony Brook on Saturday.

With a win over the Seawolves (3-0), the Wildcats could win their third game against a team they lost to in the 2017 regular season. But not only did NU (4-1) lose to Stony Brook in the 2017 campaign, they were also bounced by them in the second round of the NCAA Tournament.

Coach Kelly Amonte Hiller said that it will be a great opportunity for the Cats to get payback.

“Yeah, that’s the beauty of losing, I guess you get a second chance the following year,” Amonte Hiller said. “Stony Brook ended our season last year, so any time you play someone that ended your season, there’s definitely some emotion there.”

Still, NU players said they know the Cats can’t let their emotions get in the way of their preparation. Beyond their No. 1 ranking, the Seawolves also have several important starters returning, including senior attacker Kylie Ohlmiller, who set the NCAA record for points and assists last season.

Senior attacker Shelby Fredericks added that Ohlmiller is very efficient with the ball, which helps the offense run smoothly.

“They have great dodgers, but they also have great IQ and they can really just find those openings with their passes,” Fredericks said. “Being led by Kylie, she’s one of the best in the country. … I think our defense is doing a great job, so I think it’s going to be a great matchup.”

Amonte Hiller echoed Fredericks’, saying that as a team, Stony Brook moves the ball well while using its athleticism and speed. She added that it will be up to the Cats’ defense to step up and make stops.

NU’s defense has played well all season, allowing just 6.2 goals per game. A key to the Cats’ success has been redshirt freshman goalie Julie Krupnick. Krupnick was quick to give praise to her defense in front of her who has been playing “lights out.”

Amonte Hiller said that the most important piece of Krupnick’s play this season has been her consistency.

“Julie’s played really well,” Amonte Hiller said. “She’s stepped up and made big saves. Even in our loss to Duke, she made some huge saves that were really momentum builders for the team, and any time you can get that type of play from a goalie it’s great.”

Along with Krupnick, Amonte Hiller said that other freshmen have been playing big roles this season, whether on the field or supporting from the bench. The freshmen have given NU more depth and athleticism to go up against tough, ranked opponents, the coach added.

Regardless of the competition, Fredericks said that the Cats have to treat this game like it’s any other game if they want to come out on top.

“They just got the No. 1 ranking, which is a great opportunity for us,” Fredericks said. “But, at the end of the day, this is another game. We’re approaching every single game the same and we have to come up with that same mentality.”

Twitter: @andrewcgolden