Women’s Basketball: Kunaiyi-Akpanah, Pulliam receive Big Ten honors

Joseph Wilkinson, Sports Editor

Women’s Basketball

Pallas Kunaiyi-Akpanah was named to Second Team All-Big Ten on Monday, and freshman guard Lindsey Pulliam was named to the five-player All-Freshman Team.

Kunaiyi-Akpanah, a junior forward, averaged 11.5 points and 11.8 rebounds per game. That rebounding number ranked second in the Big Ten, behind only Big Ten Player of the Year Megan Gustafson.

Pulliam ranked first among freshmen in the conference with 14.6 points per game. That mark also led the team. In her first year in the program, Pulliam played a key role for Northwestern all season, starting all 30 games for the Wildcats and averaging almost 35 minutes per game.

The freshman guard was joined on the floor for many of those minutes by Kunaiyi-Akpanah, who was the only other NU player to start every game. The junior forward, who led the team in rebounds by a wide margin, also spearheaded the defensive effort, leading the team in steals and blocks.

Kunaiyi-Akpanah also set the single-season record for rebounds this season, breaking Nia Coffey’s record set two seasons ago.

The Cats return to action Wednesday as the No. 12 seed in the Big Ten Tournament. They’ll square off against the No. 13 Wisconsin Badgers, who they split their season series against, at 12:30 p.m. in Bankers Life Fieldhouse in Indianapolis.

Twitter: @joe_f_wilkinson