Blotter: Evanston man, once arrested for murder, charged with domestic battery

Nikki Baim, Reporter

An Evanston man charged with murder more than 20 years ago was arrested at a hospital Thursday in connection with domestic battery.

The 41-year-old man and his 50-year-old girlfriend were drinking alcohol at her friend’s apartment in the 700 block of Seward Street when they got into an argument, Evanston police Cmdr. Ryan Glew said. The woman told police her boyfriend was trying to sleep with her friend.

The man became threatening and the couple left the apartment separately, Glew said. The woman returned to her home in the 700 block of Mulford Street around 4 p.m. Her boyfriend met her at the back door and demanded the keys to the car they were renting, Glew said.

She said she denied him the keys because the car was rented in her name, though he had paid for it. Her boyfriend then pushed her to the ground in front of a witness, Glew said. An ambulance transported the woman to Presence Saint Francis Hospital to treat a scratch on her wrist and bleeding coming from behind her ear.

In possession of the car keys, the man went back to his girlfriend’s friend’s apartment around 7:30 p.m. He was met there by the friend’s boyfriend, whom he struck over the head with a bottle and left, Glew said.

The man then went to the hospital where his girlfriend was being treated. There were multiple stab wounds on his body, though he denied being involved in a disturbance with anybody, Glew said.

He was arrested at Saint Francis at 11:14 p.m. and charged with domestic battery.

Chicago man arrested in connection with trespassing

A 26-year-old Chicago man was arrested in connection with trespassing exactly a week after getting charged for the same offense on Feb. 8.

Police responded to a call from the manager of the CVS at 101 Asbury St. at 9:53 p.m., Glew said. An employee told the manager a known man was in the store creating a disturbance.

When the man realized the employees saw him, he said, “Don’t call on me,” and fled the store.

The man, who is homeless, was arrested Thursday at 10:16 p.m. in the 100 block of Asbury Street.

Twitter: @nikkibaim