Fire breaks out in Northwestern students’ home Monday

Julia Esparza, Assistant City Editor

Evanston Fire Department extinguished a fire that broke out in a residence on the 700 block of Emerson Street on Monday.

EFD responded to reports of a fire at the house around 9:08 p.m. Firefighters arrived on the scene and found an activated sprinkler head, which had controlled the flames until EFD arrived on the scene to finish putting it out, according to a Tuesday news release.

Firefighters heard audible alarms and saw five residents evacuating the two-and-a-half story residence when they arrived on the premises, according to the release. Nine Northwestern students live in the building.

City ordinance mandates that a single-family building converted to a multi-family residence have an audible alarm and sprinkler protection system.

“The fire alarm and sprinkler system worked exactly as designed, saving both lives and property,” Fire Chief Brian Scott said in the release.

Email: [email protected]
Twitter: @juliaesparza10